Washington SR22 Insurance

Washington SR22 Insurance

Learn More About Washington SR22 Insurance:

Washington SR22

In Washington you may need to file an SR-22 form with the Department of Licensing due to one or more of the following violations:

  • Failure to pay child support
  • Driving while a license is revoked
  • Felony involving a motor vehicle
  • Reckless driving
  • Vehicular assault
  • Driving under the influence

Depending on the violation and court order your sr22 requirements may change. You must maintain the SR-22 insurance for a three year period after your suspension end date.

How much does SR-22 insurance cost in Washington?

Most insurance companies will charge a filing fee of $25 to $50 to add the SR-22 form to an auto insurance policy. The type of policy can be liability only, full coverage, or a non-owner policy. With regards to the cost of such policy it truly depends on the following factors and not directly related to the SR22 filing:

  • Age
  • Address
  • Credit History
  • Driving Record
  • Vehicle Model

How do I start an SR22 policy?

Getting your SR-22 submitted to the state is easy just add it to your auto insurance policy. If you don’t have one you can start a new policy just ask the company to add the SR-22 information. Within 30 days the state will notify you that the form has been received.

Washington SR22 Insurance Requirements

The state of Washington requires liability insurance to protect other drivers in the event of an accident. The minimum limits are:

  • $25k Per Person Bodily Injury
  • $50k Per Accident Bodily Injury
  • $10k Property Damage

While these limits are minimum they are rarely recommended levels of coverage. Ask your insurance agent what they recommend based on your financial position.

Suspended License Information and Requirements

Types of Suspension that may require an SR22 filing:

  • DUI (Driving Under the Influence)
  • Hit and Run (of an occupied vehicle)
  • Reckless Driving
  • Cancelled Insurance

For a complete list of suspensions that require an SR-22 insurance policy.

Each suspension type has its own process to reinstate your license so be sure to follow exactly.

Court ordered suspensions require a clearance from the court while other suspensions may require an SR-22. You may be asked to take a written and/or road skills test. Reinstatement fees vary so be sure to ask the state office. If all requirements have been met to reinstate except paying the fees you can reinstate online.

Driving Under the Influence (DUI) in Washington

Under Washington driving laws, it is unlawful to operate a motor vehicle with a BAC limit above the stated limit. BAC stands for blood alcohol content. The following are limits set by law:

All Drivers – BAC LIMIT = 0.08%
Minor Drivers (under age 21) – 0.02%
Commercial Drivers – BAC LIMIT = 0.04%

Driving under the influence includes alcohol, marijuana, cocaine, inhalants and other controlled substances. The first offense for drunk driving can result in jail time of 24 hours up to 1 year. The minimum fine is currently 865.50 and up to $5,000 plus your driver’s license will be suspended for a minimum of 90 days.

Impaired Driving Fact Sheet

2010 Washington DUI Laws

Washington House Bill 2466– As defined under RCW 46.04.215 the state patrol will provide standards for the certification,   installation, repair, maintenance, monitoring, inspection, and removal of   ignition interlock devices.

Washington House Bill 2742 –  Responsibility   of Persons Driving Under the Influence of Intoxicating Liquor or Drugs

Washington IID – Ignition Interlock Device Program

Ignition interlock devices must be installed on all vehicles operated by   anyone who has been convicted of certain alcohol-related offenses. This device detects alcohol on breath and is installed on a motor vehicle. It will prevent an alcohol-impaired person from starting the vehicle and may require random tests to be completed during a drive.

In addition to installing the IID the driver must also obtain an IIL or Ignition Interlock License. This license allows you to drive vehicles equipped with an IID while your normal license is suspended.

Requirements for IIL (Ignition Interlock License):

  • Valid driver license
  • Washington State residence address
  • No convictions of vehicular assault or vehicular homicide within 7 years before the incident you are now requesting an IIL
  • Current suspension is NOT for:
    • Minor in Possession
    • Reckless Driving reduced from alcohol related DUI
    • Vehicular Assault
    • Vehicular Homicide
    • Habitual Traffic Offender

How to apply for Washington Ignition Interlock License

For a list of IIL fees

What if I remove the IID before the end of my  requirement?

If the IID is removed early your license will be suspended and if you have a restricted license it will be canceled.