Florida Non Owner SR22 Insurance

Florida Non Owner SR22 Insurance Information

When you get a DUI in Florida, you will need to increase your liability insurance to the following amounts:

  • $100,000 for the injury or death of one person in one accident
  • $300,000 for the injury or death of two or more persons in one accident
  • $50,000 for damage to property in one accident

In addition, in order to get your driver’s license reinstated, you will have to file an FR44 form from your insurance carrier. (Florida used to require SR22 forms until February 2008. Now they require FR44 forms.) Your FR44 filing must be submitted electronically by your insurance carrier.

If you do not own a vehicle, you will need to purchase non-owner FR44 insurance.

Florida Non-Owner FR44 Insurance and Ignition Interlock Law:

The State of Florida requires the installation of an ignition interlock device (IID) as a condition for reinstatement in most DUI cases.

The length of your ignition interlock requirement depends on your specific offense:

  • First Offense DUI – at the discretion of the court
  • First Offense DUI w/ a BAC of 0.15 or above – at least 6 months
  • First Offense DUI w/ a child in the vehicle – at least 6 months
  • Second Offense DUI – at least 1 year
  • Second Offense DUI w/ a BAC of 0.15 or above – at least 2 years
  • Second Offense DUI w/ a child in the vehicle – at least 2 years
  • Third Offense DUI – at least 2 years
  • Subsequent Offense – at least 5 years

If you are required to drive with an ignition interlock device, you will not be able to file a non-owner FR44 insurance certificate. In order to reinstate your driving privilege (except in the case of a first offense DUI), one must install an ignition interlock device in a vehicle that he or she owns. Therefore, you must own a vehicle in order to drive, so you will need an owner’s FR44 form.

How to Get Florida Non-Owner FR44 Insurance:

Your FR44 certificate must be maintained for three years. If your FR44 is ever canceled, your insurance company will submit an FR46, which will get you into trouble. So, it is important to find a non-owner FR44 policy that you can afford, so that you have no trouble making your payments.

For More Information:

For more information about non-owner FR44 insurance in Florida, contact the nearest Florida Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles office.