Tag Archives: MADISON

Indiana SR22 & SR50 – Financial Responsibility Terms Explained

Suspension, Reinstatement, and Insurance Forms

Under Indiana law, courts can order the BMV to suspend an individual’s driving privileges. State law also allows the BMV to suspend a person’s driving privileges for certain violations – such as failure to provide proof of insurance.  To reinstate a person’s driving privileges, a driver may be required to submit one or more of the following forms.

Certificate Of Compliance (COC)

This form is used to verify financial responsibility for a specific incident date in the past and for a specific vehicle. This form can be used to show proof of insurance for accidents, citations and the Previously Uninsured Motorist Registry (PUMR). The form must be electronically submitted to the BMV by the driver’s or vehicle owner’s insurance provider.

SR-22 Proof Of Future Financial Responsibility

The SR-22 form confirms future financial responsibility for a driver who has been convicted of an offense which requires the driver to maintain proof of future financial responsibility with the BMV for a three-year period. A valid SR-22 form must remain on file with the BMV for three years after a suspension for a major violation. The SR22 also will be accepted as current proof of insurance if an SR50 is needed for the reinstatement of driving privileges. The form must be electronically submitted to the BMV by the driver’s insurance provider.

SR-26 Cancellation Of Proof Of Future Financial Responsibility

The SR-26 form is used by insurance companies to notify the BMV that a policy reported on an SR-22 or SR-23 form has been canceled. The SR-26 form displays the cancellation date. This document must be electronically submitted by the insurance provider to the BMV.

SR-50 Affidavit Of Current Insurance

The Affidavit Of Current Insurance (SR-50) provides proof of current insurance to the BMV. The form indicates the beginning and ending dates of the current policy. An SR22 also will suffice for proof of current insurance. This document must be electronically submitted by an insurance provider to the BMV.

Reinstatement Fee Submission Form

Prior to a driver’s reinstatement eligibility date, the BMV will send the driver a Reinstatement Requirements Notice to notify the driver of the necessary items the BMV needs before driving privileges can be reinstated, including outlining how to pay reinstatement fees online, by phone or by mail using the form that is attached to the notice. If you have lost the Reinstatement Requirements Notice reinstatement fee submission form, then you may use this form to pay your reinstatement fee by mail.

Official Court Actions

The following forms are used by the courts to communicate official actions of the court.

SR-16 Certification Of Indiana Abstract Of Court Record

This form is used by courts to notify the BMV that a driver has been convicted of a citation, failed to appear for a citation, or failed to pay a citation for violating a motor vehicle law. This form also notifies the BMV when orders have been rescinded. Drivers may not submit SR-16 forms at license branches. SR-16 forms may only be submitted by a court directly to the BMV.

SR-17 Court Order Granting Probationary Or Hardship License

The SR-17 form is used by courts to notify the BMV that a hardship or probationary license will be issued to the motorist named in the order. This form tells the BMV the duration of the license and any limits on the motorist’s driving privileges. SR-17 forms may only be submitted by a court directly to the BMV.

SR-33 Court Report Of Judgment

The SR-33 is used by a court to notify the BMV of a judgment against the owner or operator of a motor vehicle who has failed to pay for damages arising from an accident. The form reports the amount of the judgment as well as the date the judgment was rendered.











(original article located at :http://www.in.gov/bmv/2373.htm)

How to Reinstate Your Driver’s License in Wisconsin After an OUI

Reinstatement of Your Wisconsin License

In order to begin the process to get your driver’s license reinstated in Wisconsin after a suspension or revocation, prepare a letter with the following information:

  • Your full name
  • Date of birth
  • Wisconsin driver license number
  • Social Security number
  • Current address
  • Check for $50

Send it to:

Wisconsin Department of Transportation
Driver Information Section
4802 Sheboygan Ave., Room 301
P.O. Box 7983
Madison, WI 53707-7983

If your suspension was related to the safety responsibility or damage judgment laws, you will be required to show proof of insurance.

If your driver’s license is still in your possession, you may call (608) 264-7133 to confirm that the DMV has received your $50 and the above information. If they have, you are legally allowed to drive.

If you do not have your driver’s license in your possession, you will need to go in person to your local DMV service center and be prepared to do the following:

  • Complete the Driver License Application for renewal.
  • Show one piece of ID with both a photograph and your signature.
  • Pay the $50 reinstatement fee, plus the $4 fee for a duplicate or, if the license expired while it was suspended or revoked, the $24 fee for a renewal.
  • File the SR22 Proof of Insurance if it is required.
  • Bring a parent or legal guardian to sign as your sponsor if you are under 18.

Proof of Insurance (Financial Responsibility)

Proof of financial responsibility is certifying that you have   liability insurance in the amounts of at least $25,000 and $50,000 for   personal injury or death and $10,000 for property damage.

Proof of insurance is filed by obtaining an SR-22 certificate issued by an insurance company licensed to do business in Wisconsin. In some cases, substitutions, such as a bond from an insurance company or a cash deposit of $60,000 posted with the Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) will be accepted. For operation of commercial vehicles, motor carrier insurance  may be furnished as proof of financial responsibility.

Proof of insurance is necessary:

Insurance filing is not necessary to reinstate a driver license if a revocation is due to:

  • Non-compliance with an assessment interview.
  • Non-compliance with a driver safety plan.
  • Non-compliance with a driver safety plan – new arrest while in a plan.
  • Conviction for a first offense of operating while intoxicated.

During the period of revocation or suspension, a person whose operating privilege was revoked or suspended must file insurance only if they wish to obtain an occupational license.

Insurance must be filed for three years from the reinstatement eligibility date, or for three years from the court entry date of a damage judgment that was effective before September 1, 2000.

How to file proof of insurance

Insurance is filed by providing an SR-22. To obtain an SR-22, contact an insurance company licensed to do business in Wisconsin.

If you are filing insurance in lieu of sponsorship, be sure to tell the insurance agent you want to file insurance “in lieu of sponsorship.” Be sure the agent understands the filing is not required due to a revocation or suspension of your operating privilege.

Most insurance companies that file proof of financial responsibility will mail the certificate directly to WisDOT. Some companies will give the SR-22 to the customer and some companies will electronically file the information to  WisDOT’s computer system. The electronically filed information is usually entered automatically on the customer’s driver record within one or two working days.

Check the status of your insurance filing.

Voluntary surrender when insurance is required

If, at any time during the three-year filing period, a person wishes to stop filing insurance, and discontinue driving in Wisconsin, they can avoid paying the reinstatement fee in the future by surrendering their driver license to the WisDOT while the insurance is still in force.

Questions? Contact us: Wisconsin DMV email service