How to File an SR22 in Iowa Without a Vehicle

The State of Iowa requires drivers who have had their license suspended (e.g., OWI suspension) to purchase SR22 insurance as a condition of reinstatement. When one purchases SR22 insurance, the insurance company files an SR22 form (also known as a Certificate of Automobile Liability Insurance) with the Iowa Department of Transportation.

If you are trying to get your driver’s license reinstated, but you do not own a vehicle, you will need to purchase non-owner SR22 insurance. Your insurance company will then file a non-owner SR22 insurance form for you.

A non-owner SR22 insurance policy is a liability policy that only covers other vehicles and drivers in the event that you are involved in a future accident. It will not cover you or the vehicle you are driving.