Cheap California SR22 Insurance
Cheap California SR22 Insurance
Whether you need California SR22 Insurance in the form of an Owner Policy or a California Non Owner SR22, we can explain the difference and find the cheapest price.
Low cost and Affordable California SR22
Drivers in California may be required to file an SR22 with the Department of Motor Vehicles for a number of reasons including:
- Involved in motor vehicle accident and not being insured
- Convicted of driving under the influence of alcohol/drugs
- Driving with a revoked license
- Restricted license
How to file a California SR-22 form:
- Add an SR22 filing to your current or new auto insurance policy. There is usually a fee of $25 to add this to the policy. If you want to compare rates from leading insurance companies try our free service to help lower your monthly cost.
- Verify you have state minimum liability insurance. Most reputable companies in California will not sell insurance that is less than the state minimum limits.
- Your insurance company will submit the California SR22 Insurance filing to the state within 30 days and usually electronically.
- Once approved you will receive a letter from the DMV stating they have received your auto insurance with form SR22.
- Maintain this insurance for a minimum of 3 years or your court-ordered suspension period. Do not let this policy lapse as your license will be suspended again and the period will start over.
Can I just buy an SR-22 bond?
Yes, the state will accept a surety bond in the amount of $35,000 which will replace the need for liabilty insurance. Be aware that a surety bond does not offer insurance protection for any vehicle you are driving just the liability.
Where do I get an SR22 filed in California?
Most auto insurance companies that are licensed in California can provide an SR22 filing. In fact we have a network of top companies that compete for your business by providing the cheapest quotes online to compare. Try the service by clicking “Get Quotes“.
The state of California requires liability insurance to protect other drivers in the event of an accident. If you are required to file an California SR22 Insurance the following are the minimum liability limts by law:
- $15k Per Person Bodily Injury
- $30k Per Accident Bodily Injury
- $5k Property Damage
While these limits are minimum they are rarely recommended levels of coverage. Ask your insurance agent what they recommend based on your financial position for a California SR22 Insurance.
Suspended License Information and Requirements for an SR22 in California
You have 10 days from the date of the suspension/revocation to request a hearing that will allow you the opportunity to prove (show) that the suspension/revocation was not justified.
Once you have scheduled the hearing you may request to obtain copies of the department of motor vehicle’s evidence against you. It would be a good idea to take this evidence and contact an attorney in your area who can help you understand this evidence and provide the appropriate rebuttal at the correct time to increase your chances of retaining your driving privileges. Also if you need to go to court for a DUI related offense, you will want to retain the services of an attorney to represent you in this process.
California DMV Hearing – What to Expect
At this hearing you will have the opportunity to present any evidence and/or witnesses you have in your favor to rebut the evidence the arresting officer has against you. Once both sides have presented their evidence, the hearing officer will close the hearing and make a final decision on whether to suspend/revoke your driving privileges or dismiss the suspension/revocation and reinstate you license.
After the hearing decision, you may make a written request for a department review within 15 days, or a court review within 30 days, from the date shown on your hearing results notice.
To get your driving privilege reinstated after you have served the suspension/revocation period, you will need to:
- Pay the $125.00 reissue fee
- File for a SR22 Insurance policy. This is also referred to as proof of financial responsibility or California Insurance Proof Certificate
Required to get an Ignition Interlock Device?
Effective January 1, 2007 the California DMV must receive proof that the court-ordered IID has been installed before driving privileges are reinstated. The length required to have the IID can be up to three years. California SR22 Insurance at low rates tis ave you money.
Here is a list of approved devices:
- Consumer Safety Technology, Inc – (877) 777-5020
- Lifesafer Interlock, Inc. – (800) 210-8087
- Guardian Interlock Systems – (800) 499-0994
- Draeger Safety Diagnostics – (800) 332-6858